Monday 19 March 2012

Spring has Sprung

With the warm weather and the first weekend to leave the winter leggings behind, I wanted to do the same tough training ride as last year which got me through etape and other sportives and by doing so have a yardstick to measure my season opener and progress through this year.
It was a little over 5.5hrs, similar to last June, but from what I can guess the time for this circuit was down to 5hr 2min in July after l'etape and before granfondo. So a good opener, and the goal is to do this loop in under 5 hours before August.
...BUT I've never finished a ride on the "summer" bike in such pain! I must have spent too long on my winter bike, which of course does not have the same geometry. For this reason, my back was aching towards the end, nothing lasting after the ride but not the usual finish to a 125km ride (OK, this was a massive amount of climbing)
The back ache will go, but first the more worrying issue is my new carbon shoes and carbon pedals. Why spend so much on these items when at the end of the day Ive been used to my friendly spd shoes which have moulded to my feet after many years, only to give me knee ache? Well, the shimano shoes are now my commuting/mtb shoes, so I needed a fresh start. Bontrager RXL, Keo Max carbon pedals sounds nice but now I'm left with adjusting cleat position tiny millimeters to prevent more knee pains.
Must get this sorted out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment