Saturday 3 March 2012

Mapmyride v Strava

On todays ride I tracked my route with mapmyride and Strava, I was interested to see how the two android apps compared.  Nice that Strava app has been updated with my main gripe now fixed, ie you can start recording a ride before you have a GPS signal. This means you dont have to leave the house, get away from tall buildings then take the phone out and press the start button. Strava does a better job than me at time and distance, as I cycled a few minutes before I realised the reason my computer was not working was because my front wheel was on back to front!
Total distance Strava, 125km, my computer 125.17km.
Rolling time Strava, 4.38, my computer 4.33.
Maximum speed Strava 69.3, my computer 69.7.
The big difference is in total ascent, Strava claiming almost 800m extra! It really doesn't smooth well, if you look at the altitude of the climbs, its clear the mapmyride estimate is much better.
So the Strava app is very reliable for distance and speed, and at present mapmyride does not record these details, however I feel the total ascent is best represented by mapmyride.
I like the achievements section for Strava, with the King of the hill and personal bests for all sections. I guess its difficult to identify the real start and finish for very long climbs, Strava tends to chop them up into many sections. Going to have to take it out on Dornach - Gempen tomorrow morning I reckon....




No comments:

Post a Comment