Saturday 18 February 2012

The Schelten loop

Its been a long time since the last proper road ride. Last week I attempted to cycle to Delemont and back, but could only get 25km before my fingers were so painfully cold I had to stop to heat up in Laufen with some very nice cake and coffee.
I realise now that just the fact of wearing 3 sets of gloves is enough to constrict the arteries in my hands, so the bloodflow would have been restricted even before the maximum temps of -8 last week.
Today I set out with the same idea to do the flat out and back to Delemont along the Birs valley, avoiding the snowy hills and frostbite descents. But now the mercury is above zero and it feels like spring. Its not spring of course, it just feels so warm compared to previous weeks.
Once in Delemont, the sun was shining, temperature several degrees, and of course I had to see just how far up the Scheltenpass I could get before having to turn back. I passed a French mountain biker, and when I found out the pass was open and no snow on the road, there were no thoughts of turning back now.
The pass will be used in this years Tour de Suisse, not a steep climb but its long enough to allow for some  attacks before the finish of the stage with the loop around Olten. Its just over 1050m, so the snow will be here for a while longer.
The descent was fine, in places there were small dumps of snow from the treetops but no ice on the road. Further down in a steep section of the road I pass a dump truck hurriedly shifting snow and soil. I didnt think twice till I passed it, but looking back I could see there had been a sizeable avalanche which must have covered the road, probably would have buried a car. Just beyond there are signs saying road closed, so I would have been the first to make it passed this hazard this afternoon.
Feels nice to be able to ride a decent distance with hills on the 531c, and there are still several weeks of winter biking left. Glad to have mudguards on my bike today, kept the snow melt water off my feet and legs which would have been painfully cold on the way down.

Slight aching knee the next morning though, that mountain bike crash in November might yet prove to be more than a flesh wound....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment