Sunday 16 June 2013

Luzern - Ibergeregg - Flumserberg

Descent to Schwyz
More good weather, although as its suddenly become sunny I'm not as conditioned to the sun as I should be by this time of year, so still redness is the issue from yesterday and on the mind today. Keeping covered all the way to the foot of Ibergeregg, then massive amount of sweating before applying more sun block at the top did the trick.
Another day of awesome views, from the start around the shores of Lake Luzerne to Zug, the climb to Aegerisee, descending to stunning Schwyz then the almighty climb up the climb I still can't pronounce but Ibergeregg is a beast starting from Schwyz. Many cyclists heading the opposite direction, again another day I'll try the reverse here, but descending to Schwyz would be too much on the brakes for me.
Another excuse to explore more of Switzerland was the final stage of the Tour de Suisse was finishing with a mountain time trial to the ski resort of Flumserberg. It's a long way from here, but a great day, and of course great scenery so the kms tick by and soon enough I arrive at the foot of the ascent. There was an option to take a gondola up the backside of the mountain from Quart, but how to get home from there? Instead I pressed on, and after asking locals exactly what time events were taking place, I found my bike carrying me upwards towards Flumserberg. I had made it a moderate way up before many motorbikes, cars, and all the cyclists descended so I'd better stop right where I was. They'd all been up the mountain for a test ride, warming up, then heading back to the start. Soon enough a small caravan of sponsors drove up the mountain, throwing sweets and gifts at waving fans, then an air of calm between the caravan and the first riders. Time to think, should I climb further? Not much time to realise, I was in the perfect spot, on the apex of a steep hairpin with long views down to approaching riders, with shade, and several other supporters. If only there was a beer stall on hand this would have been perfect!


Andy Schleck







No comments:

Post a Comment