Saturday 15 June 2013

Glaubenberg - Glaubenbielen

Mini heatwave in central Europe now, after the snow, the flooding, what next? Well, major thunderstorms on the way Wednesday and Thursday, so while its sunny and warm its time to take to the mountains. The high mountain passes are still closed by snow, but I've had these two mid mountain passes in mind for a long time now, so it was time to take an early train a very short distance to Sursee for the start of a really awesome ride.
I skirted the banks of Sursee by a few meters, but those few meters were enough for dense trees and hedging to only allow glimpses of the glorious early morning view across the lake to Pilatus. But this was merely the start, beyond this the scenery was astounding all the way to Thun.
The Glaubenberg is perhaps the easiest 1543m ascent I've made. A series of glacial steps, allowing rest and recovery made the north-south climb a joy. The pass is unremarkable, but once around the corner the views down to Sarnersee and the mountains beyond were breathtaking. The descent was clearly steeper and without breaks than the side I'd climbed, so for sure I will need to do this trip in reverse this summer. Down in Sarnen, yet another picturesque Swiss town, I stopped to refill water bottles at the town square which was being used for the day by some kind of eco-food market. One guy offered me many slices of banana and mango, which I took and tasted so sweet, but unfortunately not the kind of goods I want to carry with me today.
After enjoying the flats around Sarnersee, it was time for the major climb of the day, Glaubenbielen, or Glaubenbühl. At the foot of the climb, the red sign warned of the steep ascent over then next 12km - 1120m! Certainly the biggest climb of the year so far for me.
Great climb, great views and helped a local rider down the gentle northern slopes to Shüpfheim where I turned left and covered the never ending fantasy roads to Thun.

Certainly back for more on this route, highly recommend!



No comments:

Post a Comment