Sunday 19 June 2011

Etape training

 Its 10 years since I first cycled the big mountains of the Pyrenees in l'etape du tour, Tarbes to the ski resort of Luz Ardiden. Back then, I had never seen a mountain pass outside the UK, or else not appreciated one having been over in a car or other vehicle. My training for that event was laps of Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh! I used to go 5-6 times around the hill, as many times a week as possible and do some longer rides towards Peebles at the weekend. I managed to complete the distance, not walking any of the final climb, but it was crazy to attempt such a ride on such a poor bike and with inappropriate training.
This time I know what I've let myself in for, so I can not complain about the mountains I shall face on 11th July!
OK, so not much to say about todays ride as its really just for my own training log so I can remember the times, distance and ascent for later. Basically, steep start (20% one section up to Gempel) then out over Passwang, very nice big loop up and down to Balstal, then back over Passwang. Its really nice to be able to do such a quality ride, I appreciate living in such a bike friendly location.
Still liking the mapmyride.com interface, the summary of climbs is neat. I believe the total ascent as well, ridewithgps had me well over 3000m of climbing today, it doesn't seem to iron out all the bumps as well.
I measured 4hr59 112km. I can only increase the ascent gained on this ride by another 400m or so, beyond that I'll need to take the train to Biel and cycle back via some big passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment