Thursday 17 May 2012

Ascension day

Nice to have a day devoted to climbing hills:)
Yesterday saw some huge storm over Croatia, it dragged lots of cold air and huge thunderstorms across the continent with hailstones and lightning in Basel all afternoon. By 8pm it was a chilly 10 degrees, and dropped down to 2 degrees overnight, but today the storm had passed so blue sunny skies and the temperature was to climb back up to 17. However, the warm air rushing back in meant that it was going to be windy, so riding along the valleys was harder than usual today.
This was the first time I have climbed the full Passwang from the river in Zwingen, I normally join the climb just before the main part of the climb. Its a very nice long, steady 2-3% up the valley, it makes the climb seem much more like a big mountain pass with the full runup rather than a short steep climb. I caught up with a group of 6 Swiss riders on the runup, was happy to join and said Gruezi but they seemed to be moving so slowly that I had to push on ahead once the climb kicked in. Soon left them, but one of the pack was not having and Englishman humiliate their group, so 2/3 the way up he passed me and stayed a safe distance till the top.
My mission today was to go beyond Balstal, along the valley towards Moutier, and climb the final southern ridge of the Jura. I haven't made it up this ridge before, when I've climbed Brunnersberg I see the high Alps in the distance appearing once I've climbed high enough to see over this final ridge.
Schmiedermatt - this was a steep climb - down to the bottom cog which I've hardly been using in the Black Forest, these Jura climbs tend to be steeper. Lots of forest covering me with enough gaps in the trees to see the valley disappearing far below. Out of the forest, and theres a false plateau area with fine views north, and a very busy restaurant and possible hotel high up above the pastures. Thats where the road is steepest, it turns back into a final forest then up and up some more before a passing between a large rock gateway leads to the magnificent view southwards over the flatter area of Switzerland that lead up to the high Alps. Quite breathtaking, it is a serious traffic hazard when descending the narrow roads with the alps on the horizon and trying to watch the road at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment