Thursday 26 January 2012

Strava Cycling App

Discovery of the day was testing out Strava cycling application on my phone. Its free for Android and iPhone, and the results were better than expected. At first attempt, the record ride function refused to work as there was no GPS signal as I was inside the flat - this is slightly annoying as I can't press the start ride button and just let it find the signal when I'm on the road. If you can see the phone, then you would see current speed, distance etc but I kept it in my back pocket the whole route. This is how I will always use the device, its far too big to even think of mounting it on the handlebars, and the batteries will last many hours just recording GPS data.
After saving the distance, time, elevation, route etc are presented on the app itself and the website has a nice design with more detailed charts. I've seen enough folks Garmin pages by now (with its nasty bing maps), but the surprising bonus with this system was that it had automatically picked out my climb given me a time from  start to finish, I assume it will do this automatically for all climbs in the future. On top of that, it found other riders who had done the same climb and so you instantly get a hall of fame for your local climb!
Very nice.

http://app.strava.com/rides/3620048

No comments:

Post a Comment